It’s no surprise that the heavy duty caster is designed to aid in load capacity distribution. It is a small mechanism that allows many items to become mobile and impact the workplace in terms of efficiency and speed. They are made of materials that can withstand minimum weight while moving easily on their wheels. They are useful for handling many tasks, but they don’t serve the same application purpose.
Heavy duty casters are used to handle loads that range from 2000 pounds to 44000 pounds. Many kinds of material handling equipment rely on heavy duty casters, which are used in the manufacturing and industrial sectors. In this article, we will discuss the application of a heavy duty caster and the best material for its different applications. Keep on reading.
Features of Heavy Duty Casters
Heavy duty casters are designed with the following mounting options that include;
· Stainless steel top-plate swivel
· Top-plate swivel
· Kingpinless top-plate swivel
· Rolling ball that effects easy movement
· Full double ball hardened raceways
· Permanent rivet kingpin with rivet
· Hollow axle with grease zerk and lock nut
· Plastic seal/retainer washer
How to Install Heavy Duty Casters
To install a heavy duty caster, you have to start by selecting the right caster that suits the equipment you want to make a mobile. The process is easy to follow, and you can have it done in a few minutes, but you have to consider the following;
· The rolling surface
· The environment
· The wheel size and
· Load capacity
Once all these are considered, and the right type of caster has been selected, follow this procedure;
· Prepare the surface for the installation so there is an area for even weight distribution. Since the weight will concentrate on the plate, let the mounting area be strong enough to carry the load.
· Find a suitable position for the caster to avoid easy flexibility
· Ensure the casters are evenly distributed, at equal sizes, and aligned symmetrically to prevent stress points. The caster should be positioned so it isn’t too close to the edge or another caster. Using a pencil, mark the position for installation.
· Drill holes into the position that has been marked and install the caster using a washer, bolts, and nuts
· Test the maneuverability of the caster to ensure that it’s operating smoothly and have enough room for movement.
Factors to Consider When Installing Heavy Duty Casters
When installing a heavy duty caster to Equipment or furniture, you must choose the right caster for the job. Choosing a caster that doesn’t suit your environment or rolling surface is not an advisory. So, when you want to install a heavy duty caster, here are the things to consider;
The Application of the Caster
Before purchasing, you must consider the Equipment you want to install the casters on. Determining the total weight of the Equipment you want to install the caster on will help you choose the type of heavy duty caster.
The maneuverability of the Equipment
You must choose the type of heavy duty caster depending on the Equipment’s movement. If your Equipment needs a lot of maneuvers, choose a caster with a swivel. You will also determine if you need a swivel with a lock to choose when to move your Equipment in a straight line and when you want it free will.
Type of Wheels
The type of wheels to use on the caster depends on where you’ll be using the caster. If your surface is hard, you’ll want to use a soft material caster; if it’s a soft floor surface, you’ll need a metal wheel. Also, the temperature of your surface will determine the wheel type. You must choose a wheel type opposite your floor for the best performance. The wheel’s dimensions are also important to get the best out of your caster.
We all have different reasons for why we want to install a heavy duty caster. As you’re contemplating what to use, consider the factors determining the type of heavy duty caster to use.
The heavy duty caster comes in different wheel dimensions and is important to your surface. Therefore, take time to make an informed selection before installing the caster. Also, use the installation method above to get it done perfectly.